Skip Navigation
  • Comhairle Budget 2013-15
  • The EDIC - Outer Hebrides provides assistance, advice and information on matters relating to the EU...
  • Information and advice about child protection, keeping children and young people safe from harm...
  • Working Together for the Next Five Years
  • Blue Badge Scheme
  • CnES Performance
  • Ward Priority Fund
  • Have You Ever Considered Fostering?

Museum nan Eilean

Comhairle nan Eilean Siar

Museum nan Eilean

Stornoway

The Nicolson Institute Secondary

The Nicolson Institute Secondary Department c1900. This is now Stornoway's Museum

Museum nan Eilean was established in 1983 by Comhairle nan Eilean, the Western Isles Islands Council, as it was then, to provide the first professional museum service for the Western Isles. Its Stornoway museum opened in 1984 in accommodation in the Town Hall.

In 1995, it moved into its present home, following an extensive programme of works to convert the building into a museum. This building originally served as the Secondary Department of the Nicolson Institute and first opened its doors to pupils in 1898.

The museum holds collections of objects, photographs, prints and paintings and archives illustrating the archaeology, social, domestic and economic history of the islands.

 

Address: Francis Street
Stornoway
Isle of Lewis
HS1 2NF
Phone: 01851 709266
Fax: 01851 706318
Email:
Museum nan Eilean

Museum nan Eilean, Francis Street, Stornoway

 

Page Last Modified : 04/09/2014 09:05:01