Animal Feed Hygiene Registration or Approval

Do you need to register?

Do You:

  • Store animal feeds? This includes storing feed for your own livestock
  • Manufacture animal feeds?
  • Market animal feeds?
  • Import animal feeds?
  • Transport animal feeds?
  • Sell co-products of the food industry as feeds?
  • Carry out on-farm mixing?
  • Feed food-producing animals?
  • Grow crops to be used as animal feeds?

If the answer is YES to ANY of the above then it is likely that the Feed (Hygiene and Enforcement) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 applies to you - and you should be registered.

What is the purpose of the Regulations?

To ensure that the quality of animal feed is maintained by using appropriate storage and transport arrangements.

How do I apply?

To apply, download Feed Hygiene Registration or Approval Application Form (413.8kB) (Opens in a new window or downloads a file).  Please return the completed form to Consumer and Environmental Services, Comhairle nan Eilean Siar, Sandwick Road, Stornoway, Isle of Lewis, HS1 2BW or e-mail to   Registration is free and after submitting your application you will receive confirmation of your unique registration number in writing.

I have been asked for my Feed Hygiene Registration number, how do I check if my premises are already registered?

If you do not know if you are registered or if you have lost your registration number please contact Consumer and Environmental Services on 01851 822 694 or e-mail