The Service has a wide range of responsibilities relating to animal health and welfare in relation to livestock movements. These responsibilities extend to:
- Ensuring compliance with the Welfare of Animals (Transport) Order in relation to the loading, unloading and handling of stock.
- Checking movement documents and ensuring compliance with general licence conditions relating to movement and standstill periods
- Checking adequacy of facilities such as feed, water and penning and/or lairage arrangements.
- Checking the adequacy of biosecurity, and cleansing and disinfection measures
- Ensuring protection of stock from extremes of weather.
- Checking the proper identification of stock.
- Checking for evidence of animal disease or injury