Feed Hygiene Registration or Approval

Do you need to register?

Do You:

  • Store animal feeds? – If you store feed for your livestock you will be code R13
  • Manufacture animal feeds?
  • Market animal feeds?
  • Import animal feeds?
  • Transport animal feeds?
  • Sell co-products of the food industry as feeds?
  • Carry out on-farm mixing?
  • Feed food-producing animals?
  • Grow crops to be used as animal feeds?
  • Carry out other controlled activities?

If the answer is YES to ANY of the above then it is likely that the legislation applies to you - and you should be registered.

What is the purpose of the Regulations?

To ensure that the quality of animal feed is maintained by using appropriate storage and transport arrangements.

How do I apply?

To apply download Feed Hygiene Registration or Approval Application form available under downloadable forms. Return the completed form to Consumer and Environmental Services, CNES, Sandwick Road, Stornoway, Isle of Lewis, HS1 2BW or e-mail to eh@cne-siar.gov.uk

What happens next?

After submitting your application you will receive confirmation of your unique registration number in writing

I have been asked for my Feed Hygiene Registration number, how do I check if my premises are already registered?

If you do not know if you are registered or if you have lost your registration number please contact Consumer and Environmental Services.


If you require further information please Contact Us.