Gaelic Student Placement Scheme 2023
In conjunction with Bòrd na Gàidhlig, Comhairle nan Eilean Siar is offering an opportunity to students with Gaelic skills to be employed for ten weeks during Summer 2023 in the Western Isles with organisations which use Gaelic in the workplace every day. These ten weeks can take place any time over the summer, but the placement must be completed by Friday 1st September, 2023.
This Scheme has been running for many years, and has been very successful in developing the Gaelic skills of students, and giving them valuable experience of a professional work environment. From the point of view of the organisations, the Scheme can give them the opportunity to hire students to work on specific projects, which would not have been possible to do without the assistance of these students.
Information about the Scheme:
- Students will be placed with employing organisations in the Western Isles who use Gaelic in the workplace every day;
- Students must be in higher education, (i.e. in university or college);
- Students must have at least some level of Gaelic speaking, reading and writing skills;
- Students must be intending to return to higher education in Autumn, 2023;
- The placement lasts 10 weeks, and can begin at any time, but must conclude before Friday 1st September 2023;
- Employing organisations must pay the real Living Wage to the students (£10.90 per hour) for the 10 weeks of employment;
- Students must work at least 30 hours per week on their placements;
- At the conclusion of the 10 weeks, the Comhairle will pay 50% of the final, total costs of hiring the students to the employing organisations.
If you are a student with Gaelic skills, who will be in the Western Isles over summer, 2023, and you wish to apply for the Scheme, can you please fill in the application form below and return it to: Donald.Weir@cne-siar.gov.uk
The closing date for Student applications is Monday 3rd April, 2023.
If you are an organisation which uses Gaelic in the workplace, and you wish to hire a student/students over Summer 2023, can you please contact Dòmhnall Weir at Donald.Weir@cne-siar.gov.uk to register your interest and for more detailed information about the process.