Tasglann nan Eilean manages the historical records of Comhairle nan Eilean Siar and its predecessors. Our archives vary but the main focus and strengths of the collections are:
- Education records such as log books, admission records and school board papers;
- Local government and hospital records relating to subjects such as the poor law, health, housing and transport.
To find out more about the collections held please see our Online Database (Opens in a new window or downloads a file) but please note that not all collections have been added to this yet, so do contact us if you have a specific query.
We also hold historical records that have been deposited by individuals, businesses or groups:
Overview of Collections Held as at June 2019 (114.1kB) (Opens in a new window or downloads a file)
If you have a query about any of our records, please see our Enquiries and Contacts page.
More information about, and a link to the full catalogue of the HTA Archive, is available on the Harris Tweed Authority Archive Project page.
More information about the W.J. Gibson Collection project is available on the Gibson Collection Project page.
1. Local Government Records
School log books and admission registers are held in their local areas within the libraries of Stornoway, Tarbert, Lionacleit and Castlebay. Please see our Enquiries and Contacts page if you are looking for a particular log book or register.
St. Kilda and Mingulay
The log books for St Kilda and Mingulay schools have been digitised with assistance from the National Records of Scotland (Opens in a new window or downloads a file).
Please see our Digitised Volumes page for access to these.
- Parochial Board / Parish of Barra, 1872-1943
- Barra Public Assistance Committee, 1937-1948
- Barra School Board / Management Committee etc., 1888-1966
- Barra District Council, 1930-1956
- Barra Road Trustees, 1879-1888
South Uist and Benbecula
- Parochial Board / Parish Council of South Uist, 1891-1963
- South Uist District Council, 1930-1974
- South Uist and Barra District Committee, 1890-1960
- South Uist and Barra District Nursing Service, 1927-1934
- South Uist (Daliburgh District) Nursing Association, 1914-1936
- Parochial Board / Parish Council of North Uist, 1870-1948
- North Uist Public Assistance Committee, 1930-1961
- North Uist District Council, 1930-1951
- North Uist District Committee, 1890-1930
- Long Island Combination Poorhouse Committee (Lochmaddy), 1875-1942
- North Uist School Board / Management Committee etc., 1893-1947
- Parochial Board / Parish Council of Harris, 1863-1932
- Harris Public Assistance Committee, 1932-1965
- Harris District Committee, 1890-1934
- Harris District Council, 1930-1975
- Harris School Board / Management Committee etc., 1918-1975
- Harris (Tarbert) Ambulance Committee, 1946-1963
- Lewis District Committee, 1890-1930
- Lewis District Council, 1930-1954
- Lewis Combination Poorhouse / Coulregrein House (Stornoway), 1893-1970
- Lewis Public Assistance Joint Committee, 1930-1975
- Lewis School Management Committee / Education Sub-Committee, 1869-1974
- Achmore School Board, 1875-1919
- Barvas School Board, 1973-1919
- Barvas Parochial Board / Parish Council 1884-1930
- Lochs Parish Council, 1890-1930
- Lochs School Board, 1873-1919
- Police Commissioners / Burgh of Stornoway / Stornoway Town Council, 1864-1975
- Landward Committee of the Parish of Stornoway, 1895-1930
- Stornoway District of Roads, 1866-1975
- Parochial Board / Parish of Stornoway, 1845-1943
- Stornoway Library records, 1905-1949
- Stornoway School Board, 1873-1919
- Uig Parochial board / Parish Council, 1885-1930
- Uig School Board, 1873-1919
- Trustees of the Nicolson Institute, Stornoway, 1870-1888
Inverness-shire County Council
- Records held by Highland Archives, Inverness.
Ross and Cromarty County Council
- Valuation and Assessment Rolls are held but are incomplete for 1899-1973.
All other records held by Highland Archives, Inverness (Opens in a new window or downloads a file).
Comhairle nan Eilean Siar
- Minutes and agendas, 1974-present
- Van Leer Community Education Project, 1980-1997
2. Non-Council Archive Collections (Gifts and Deposits)
These collections vary widely and are growing continuously. They include the records of organisations, businesses, organisations, families and individuals. Some examples are listed below. Please click on the PDF for a full overview of collections held as at June 2019 .
Examples of collections held include:
- Gatliff Hebridean Hostels Trust, 1962-2006
- Lewis Society of Detroit, 1927-1975
- Stornoway Literary and Debating Society, 1901-1910
- Dr. J. L. Robertson Bequest, 1930-1974
- Stornoway Young Men's Mutual Improvement Association, 1871-1878
- Harris Tweed Authority, 1909-2017
- Lewis Coffee House Company Ltd, Stornoway, 1878-1911
- Stornoway Water Company, 1848-1872
- Am Pàipear, 1976-
- D D Morrison, general merchants and electrical retailer, Stornoway, 1920-2007
- Donald Macaulay, warehouseman and merchant, Stornoway, 1906-1929
- Charles Morrison & Sons Ltd, ship chandlers & ironmongers, Stornoway 1884-2001
- James Shaw Grant journalist, author and crofting advocate 1788-1999
- Donald R. Morrison, bard and shopkeeper, Scalpay, 1924-2011
- Donald MacDonald (Dòmhnall MacDhòmhnaill), Bard, Eriskay Folklore notebooks 1934
- Dr Norman Morrison (1869-1949), zoologist, policeman and photographer 1890-2013
Full Overview (114.1kB) (Opens in a new window or downloads a file)