Ambassador Magazine, Autumn 1971
This was a 15-month archive cataloguing project funded by The National Archives National Cataloguing Grants Programme and the Harris Tweed Authority (Opens in a new window or downloads a file) Educational Trust.
- The HTA collection contains records such as minute books, correspondence, advertising material, press cuttings, photographs, lists of weavers, and stamping books;
- Some of the more unusual items include limericks written for a competition in 1982, school and college projects on the Harris Tweed industry, imitation labels from the 1950s-1960s, and a piece of the 2014 Commonwealth Games Harris Tweed;
- The oldest items in the collection date from around the time the Harris Tweed Association was founded (1909).
The project aims were to:
- Transfer the HTA archive material previously held by the Highland Archive Centre in Inverness to Tasglann nan Eilean, to bring the whole collection together;
- Sort, arrange, appraise and fully catalogue the material;
- Make the catalogue available online, so that people are able to discover sources of potential value for particular research topics;
- Make the archive contents accessible for researchers, exhibitions, educational and other uses.