The Lewis Sports Centre would like to bring to your attention the British Mountaineering Council Climbing participation statement which we adhere to. (The nationally recognised body representing climbers in Britain)
The BMC recognises that climbing and mountaineering are activities with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions and involvement.
The Climbing Wall was designed and constructed by King Kong Climbing walls, one of Britain’s foremost climbing wall installers. Reaching almost 10m in height, it has a range of routes to suit all abilities. An induction is required before use. The climbing wall can also be booked for groups and parties.
Conditions of Use
- The Lewis Sports Centre is used at your own risk and does not accept responsibility for any accident or loss/damage to personal possessions.
- You are informed that climbing is a potentially dangerous sport. Any person climbing beyond their capabilities or using climbing equipment incorrectly is warned that personal injury may result.
- The Lewis Sports Centre strongly recommends that only climbers and their belayers go beyond the glass barrier.
- All persons wishing to climb must first complete a registration form at reception, which checks they are competent. You must present your registration number to reception before starting to climb on every visit.
- Climbers must use a climbing sit harness and tie the rope directly to the harness as recommended by the manufacturer, using either a 'figure of eight' or bowline knot.
- All roped climbing must be belayed using a recognised, safe belay technique or device: e.g. Stricht Plate, Tubar, Gri-Gri. No waist belaying.
- You must not untie from the climbing rope at any time while you are climbing on the walls.
- If Sports Centre placed rope is removed, it is the responsibility of the climber to replace it after use.
- You must supply your own dynamic rope (minimum diameter 10mm) and quickdraws
- You must clip ALL the bolts in sequence.
- You must use 'quickdraws' (i.e. two karabiners separated by tape)
- When bouldering do not sit or climb underneath another climber above you.
- You must not climb without a rope above the first line of boltholds.
- Staff reserve the right to stop individuals climbing if their behaviour or practice are considered unsafe to themselves or others.
- The management reserve the right to refuse entry.