Enterprise and Vocational Education is about changing the life chances of young people. In the Outer Hebrides developing young people’s skills for work and enterprise is as much an economic imperative as an educational one, as the community needs more young people with the self-confidence and skills to contribute to the economy and broader community.
For all pupils it means greater access to:
- Enterprising learning and teaching in schools P1-S6.
- Increased opportunities to take personal responsibility (including risk) P1-S6.
- Running micro businesses, social/community enterprises, with support from local employers / community organisations P1-S6
- High quality and accredited work experience placements in local businesses / public/third sector – in Senior Phase.
- Access to relevant accredited vocational education in Senior Phase (school, business, third sector, college and partnership based).
“Without an enterprising disposition, our young risk being overly dependent on others, vulnerable to changing circumstances and frightened by uncertainty – and nations will stagnate. BUT enterprise cannot be developed by the occasional experience. An enterprising education is essential”. (Paul Kearney, Adviser to the Scottish Executive, 2006 and international expert in enterprising education)
CnES aims to provide an enterprising education, which simply means that to a greater degree pupils use initiative, resourcefulness and other enterprising skills in the way they learn every day at school – thus enabling young people to develop as successful learners, confident individuals, effective economic contributors and responsible citizens with a stake in their community.
Young people’s entitlement to Skills for Work is progressed through a unique Comhairle education /economic strategy to increasingly articulate vocational education in accordance with local and national economic priorities. The strategy is informed by the ‘Personalisation and Choice’ of all young people in Senior Phase and contributes to them securing positive and sustained destinations.
Skills and Enterprise Officer
Skills and Enterprise Education Adviser