When You Move House

When you are in receipt of Housing Benefit and you move house you have to certain duties and responsibilities in respect of that Housing Benefit. Similarly the Benefit Section has responsibilities and duties to you.

Claimant Duties

  1. You must inform the Benefit Section if you move house. This should be done before you actually move in, but if this can’t be done, the Benefit Section must be told as soon as possible after the move.
    It is important to let the Benefit Section know quickly as an overpayment of Housing Benefit caused as a result of the move is recoverable.
  2. Where you are the tenant of a Private Landlord, you must complete a new application form to give details of the new property, and provide a copy of your tenancy agreement.
  3. You must inform the Benefit Section if any other changes in your circumstances have occurred.
  4. If you have moved into a new property and still have a liability to pay rent at the old address, you should let the Benefit Section know, as it may be possible to pay Housing Benefit at the two addresses for up to four weeks after you move.
  5. Where point 4 applies, you must provide the Benefit Section with proof of the rent liability at both addresses.

Comhairle Nan Eilean Siar - Benefit Duties

  1. The Benefit Section will assess your new claim within 14 days of receiving all the necessary information.
  2. If for any reason they cannot pay you within this period, they will write to you giving the reason.
  3. Where you apply for Benefit for two addresses, Comhairle Nan Eilean Siar, Benefit Section will look fairly at the reasons given and make a decision.
  4. Comhairle Nan Eilean Siar, Benefit Section will inform you in writing of their decision regarding Benefit payment at two addresses within 18 days of your application.
  5. Where Comhairle Nan Eilean Siar, Benefit Section have refused payment at two addresses, they will write to you detailing the reasons. They will also give you the right to appeal against their decision.
  6. The Benefit Section must ask you for proof of benefit awarded at two addresses before such a payment can be made.