Report a Stranded or Dead Marine Animal
Reporting Stranded Marine Animals
In the case of finding a dead or stranded marine animal, call 07979 245 893 or email: email@example.com and, if possible, provide the following information:
- date found
- location (grid reference if possible)
- photographs of the animal
- species or description
- overall length (estimation)
- condition of the animal
- your contact details
Rescue for live stranded marine animals is available 24 hours a day by calling Scottish SPCA Animal Helpline (03000 999 999) or British Divers Marine Life Rescue (01825 765 546).
Scottish Government Policy - Marine Environment.
Reporting a Dead Marine Animal
The Scottish Marine Animal Stranding Scheme (SMASS) are currently gathering data on the location and cause of death of marine animals throughout Scotland. They are interested in reports of deal seals, cetaceans, turtles and basking sharks irrespective of the condition of the animal. Photographs of these animals are of particular interest as they can potentially be used to identify the cause of death.
If you find a dead marine animal please take photos (if possible) and contact SMASS on 07979 245 893 or firstname.lastname@example.org, and provide, with as much detail as possible, the following information:
- What species is it? If you aren’t sure, take pictures on your phone or camera.
- Where is the carcass? Give as precise a location as you can give, e.g. how far to the nearest road access and is it above the high tide mark?
- What size is it? Give an approximate length.
- How fresh is it? Is it in a good state or a smelly heap of bones? Are parts missing?
This information is also available on the SMASS website.
Do not touch dead marine animals. They are wild animals and may carry diseases which are transferable to humans.
The Comhairle investigates dead marine animals to determine whether there are public health issues and in many cases will arrange to have them removed if accessible.
For further information, please Contact Consumer and Environmental Services.