Quarterly Housing Update
This autumn we have 10 developments on site which are due for completion during 2019/20 – 20/21.
The Goathill Care Home, Housing and Housing with Extra Care project is now well underway with preliminary engineering and enabling works nearing completion. The next phase of the development is expected to begin in the New Year and should see construction works commencing on the Care Home and Extra Care Housing. It has been very positive to see the activity on site each day and how it has progressed since the official turf cutting in the summer.
Elsewhere, works are ongoing throughout the islands, as follows:
- Mackenzie Avenue (50 units) – handover of remaining rented and New Supply Shared Equity properties planned for December 2019;
- Breasclete, Lewis (10 units) – on site and progressing to programme with handover anticipated in March 2020;
- Tarbert Police Station, Harris (8 units) – discussions are ongoing with the contractor and we hope to be back on site in November;
- Cnoc na Runaire, Tolsta (4 units) – work progressing and handover anticipated in March 2020;
- An Glib, Point (2 units) – work progressing and handover anticipated in January 2020;
- Edgemoor Square, Ness (2 units) – work progressing and handover anticipated in January 2020;
- Garrynamonie, South Uist (5 units) – work progressing and handover anticipated in February 2020;
- Horgabost, Harris (4 units) – the New Supply Shared Equity units are progressing with anticipated handover in December 2019.
- Scotland Street, Stornoway (6 units) – work is progressing on site.
Torlum and Winfield Close, Benbecula both have approved planning applications and are due to start on site in November 2019.
The following two potential developments are at the masterplanning stage:
- Blackwater, Lewis; and
- Melbost Farm West.
Further updates will follow for all.
Again the Comhairle and HHP wish to reiterate how grateful we are for the support from Scottish Government, which continues to enable this significant boost to our economy and provides new affordable homes for islanders.