The HILLS Programme comprises of 2 main strands, namely Grow 2 Work and Failte Group. Grow 2 Work is a 2 year course based at Lews Castle College, with outcomes of progression such as work placements, volunteering, or moving on to further education.
The Failte Group support a core group of volunteers with additional support needs, and other trainees who undertake a programme of learning in relation to life skills, for further progression towards employability.
The Main Objectives of HILLS
- To support our trainees along the employability pathway
- To encourage trainees with issues such as lack of confidence, and independence issues.
- To encourage a work ethic within our trainees through their placement on the HILLS programme.
- To encourage our trainees to recognise their true potential as citizens who can make a contribution to society.
- To feel part of a team.
Eligibility criteria for the HILLS are as follows:
- Additional support needs.
- Confidence issues.
- Long term unemployed.
- An interest in Horticulture or café work.
On the Grow 2 Work element of HILLS trainees are placed on a college course for the duration of 2 years. During this time our trainees will achieve a number of work related modules, as well as undertaking a work placement, which can be funded through the OHMEET strand of the Programme.
During their time at college our trainees are classed as students, and are able to access IT facilities, and all other college facilities
If any publicity is sought for the Programme, the following funding partnership bodies must be acknowledged – European Social Fund, Employment Service and Comhairle Nan Eilean Siar.
Education Development Centre
6 Kenneth Street, Stornoway,HS1 2DR
Tel: 01851 822716