Applying For A Young Person's NEC

Application Forms

The National Entitlement Card application form has a unique reference number, and must be made in person at an Area Office during normal office hours.

When making your application you will need to bring documentary evidence to prove your address in the Western Isles.  You will also require a recent passport sized, head and shoulders camera-facing photograph.  Write your date of birth and unique reference number on to the reverse of your photograph. (We regret that scanned photographs are not acceptable).

Please note you also need to provide additional photographic evidence.  You will need to provide a passport, or photo driving licence, or PASS hologrammed card, or provide details from a Photograph Referee.

All New Secondary School Pupils

If you are pupil in a secondary school/or due to start in a secondary school in the Western Isles, and do not have a card , the Project Coordinator will visit your school to help you apply for a card and take your photo.  These visits are on a quarterly basis, however should you require a card immediately please visit any of our Area Offices for an application or contact Erica Clark, Community Education Officer, on 01851 822743 or

Replacement Cards

Need your details updated?

If you have moved house, or feel your photo needs updated please contact us and we can help with this.

Lost or Damaged Card

Should you either lose or damage this card and require it to be replaced please contact Erica Clark, Community Education Officer, on 01851 822743 or

Replacement NECs will be provided free of charge.  However, we reserve the right to make a charge where frequent requests are made.

Photograph Referee

As these cards can be used as proof of age, we have to verify that the photograph you supply is actually of you.  If you can provide a passport, photo driving licence or PASS hologrammed card then you do not need to provide a photograph referee.

If you cannot provide one of these documents please ask someone who knows you, who is not a relative or part of your family and is in a full time, professional job ( like a teacher, doctor, nurse, community work, social worker, police officer, or religious leader) to write the following on the back of your photograph:

" I confirm that this is a true likeness of [your full name]"

and get them to sign and date the back of the photograph.  They must also complete the photograph referee details at part 5 of the application form (page 3).  We will contact all photograph referees personally to confirm authenticity of the details provided.